This Kalbi Dog Tacos Recipe has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Conagra Brands.
All opinions are mine alone. #ServeUpSummer #CollectiveBias
The Summer is officially here, and it’s grilling season in America, again! If you live in Florida like we do, it’s pretty much grilling season all year round! Anyway, our social media feeds have been filled with the delicious, bright ‘n cheery colors that Summer has to offer, but not only that… our backyard and pool deck are also enjoying the colors (and flavors) of the season!
Summer Entertaining: An American Classic With A Twist
Having spent most of our lives in Hawaii, we’re always thrilled when we get the opportunity to infuse a little bit of Asian flare into an American classic… especially on the grill! Hotdogs marinated in kalbi (Korean BBQ) sauce? Ohhh, yeah! But, it doesn’t end there–the toppings are another story! Keep on reading to get the scoop on this burst of flavor that will transform your Summer entertaining into mouthwatering bliss.
Hover over the picture below to purchase some of our favorite Summer entertaining essentials (they’re perfect for entertaining large groups)!
Recipe: Kalbi Dog Tacos
Add an Asian twist to an All-American Favorite by marinating Hebrew National® Beef Franks in kalbi (Korean BBQ) sauce to make Kalbi Dog Tacos! Instead of a hotdog bun, we used kosher, taco-style tortillas and topped the beef franks with our favorite kimchi slaw! Our guests enjoyed topping the kalbi dog tacos with the classics–Hunt’s® Tomato Ketchup and Gulden’s® Spicy Brown Mustard.
Servings: 20 tacos
Prep Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Marinading Time: 4 hours to overnight
Cook Time: approx. 6 minutes on the grill
Total Time: 4 hours and 16 minutes
- 20 Hebrew National® Beef Franks (we used the family pack)
- 20 taco-style tortillas
- Avocado oil (for brushing on the tortillas)
- Toppings of your choice, both traditional and non-traditional (i.e. kimchi slaw, fresh pineapple, and cilantro)
For the kimchi slaw
- 1 14 oz bag coleslaw mix (we like broccoli slaw but any coleslaw mix will do)
- 1 tbs Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup kosher kimchi
- 1/4 cup organic, blue agave nectar
- 2 tbs organic sesame oil
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- Pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
For the kalbi marinade
- 2 cups organic, gluten-free tamari
- 1 1/2 cups organic, blue agave nectar
- 1/2 cup organic sesame oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 2 large garlic heads, peeled and minced
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 whole ginger, minced
TIP: It helps to make the kalbi marinade ahead of time (and make a little extra to save on the side)! We store them in quart-sized mason jars in the refrigerator.
To make the kalbi dog tacos
- Make shallow, slanted slices on each of the beef franks for faster marinade flavor absorption and faster cooking time.
- Combine all marinade ingredients and marinade beef franks in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (overnight is best).
- Preheat grill to medium heat, then grill the beef franks, carefully rolling them from side to side until lightly brown. Set aside.
- Lightly brush one side of the tortilla with avocado oil and briefly place on grill until it starts to form small pockets (“bubbling”). Note that if you leave the tortillas on the grill too long, they will get too tough (not pliable).
- Assemble your kalbi dog tacos and get creative with the toppings!
To make the kimchi slaw
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for 4 hours before serving.
See how we got creative with our Kalbi Dog Tacos!
Here’s a nifty GIF to inspire you to get creative with the Kalbi Dog Taco toppings with non-traditional flavors like kimchi slaw, fresh pineapple, cilantro, and a little bit of lemon juice!
If kimchi isn’t your thing, no worries…
Traditional flavors like Hunt’s® Tomato Ketchup and Gulden’s® Spicy Brown Mustard make the kalbi dog tacos taste just as delicious!
Stock up on essentials that make it easier to feed a crowd!
We stopped by Walmart to pick up a a few family packs of Hebrew National® Beef Franks + Hunt’s® tomato ketchup and Gulden’s® Spicy Brown Mustard + other ingredients and entertaining supplies.
Now, it’s your turn to tell us about some mouthwatering taco toppings that are on your mind!
How will you be celebrating and entertaining a crowd this Summer?
How will you be adding a twist to an all-time favorite, combining traditional and nontraditional flavors?
Click here for more delicious inspiration to color your Summer yummy!